Monday, June 23, 2014

His name saves- all day long! Psalms 54





54 Save me, O God, by Your name,
And vindicate me by Your strength.
2 Hear my prayer, O God;
Give ear to the words of my mouth.
3 For strangers have risen up against me,
And oppressors have sought after my life;
They have not set God before them. Selah
4 Behold, God is my helper;
The Lord is with those who uphold my life.
5 He will repay my enemies for their evil.
Cut them off in Your truth.
6 I will freely sacrifice to You;
I will praise Your name, O Lord, for it is good.
7 For He has delivered me out of all trouble;
And my eye has seen its desire upon my enemies.

The power in a name.

There is power in my name. "Mommy said!"

There is even more power in my husband's name. "Daddy said!"

Power.
In the spirit of full disclosure,however, in most circles, my name does not hold any power. Zero. But in my house, in my family, in my own little world, my name holds a lot of power.

But there is One whose name does hold the ultimate power.
 This is His world. His creation. His name.

Save me O God, by Your name.

He saves my soul. He saves my sanity. He saves my heart, my mind. All of it. I need to be saved. All day long. From myself. From my flesh. From temptation. And that is ok. Because His Name.
It saves! But why?

Because:

It is good.

An earthly name has power, but it is not always good, and a bad name holds destructive power. Yes there are certain names that you do not want to be associated with. Names can even  go from good to bad 

in.an.instant.

 Names can even hinder you, not help you.

But not God's name.

Jesus' name. It is good. Always. His name is sweet. Say it out loud.
His name is the quickest prayer. The quickest call for help. And the most powerful.

Jesus.

But:
His name also divides.
You can say God. Just don't say Jesus.
Here is a strange truth.  People will say all day long. "Why can't Christians be more like Jesus? Jesus was kind. Loving. Forgiving. Accepting."

Ok, Can I pray in Jesus name?
Um no. Definitely not.

Can I mention Jesus name?
Um no. Please don't.

His name divides.

Is he ok with this? Well, He seemed to expect it.

"Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division." Luke 12:51.

Peace on earth? Not yet.

Peace in your heart? Absolutely. Peace that passes all understanding.
By His name.

Save me by Your name!

And what is the proper response?

I will freely sacrifice to You.
I will praise Your Name, for it is Good!

Call on His name today. All day. Every day. Praise His name. Praise it to all that you meet. Tell of His Good Name! And because we are saved, we will sacrifice, freely.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - Awesome - I just love that song!!! So true about not being able to say His name - we got in trouble with the City of Boca for putting a DVD in the goody bags for the kids that mentioned Jesus. So sad - but true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is power in his name. And even the enemy knows it, hence the fight against it. Yet sometimes we forget the power in the name of Jesus. When we don't know anything else to say, His name is enough!

      Delete