Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Luke 22- Of course.



Last week I posted about my affinity for the number 2. So as per my life, this Sunday Pastor Doug taught from Luke 22. And I can't stop thinking about it.  Here's why. These Words:

"The greatest crime, the greatest murder in the history of humanity, happened during the holiest week, the Jewish passover...... 


Part of passover was getting rid of all of the yeast of their home

The Pharisees, they were meticulously getting rid of every bit of yeast from every jar, every corner of  their home and at the same time they were plotting to kill an innocent man....."

That'll preach. And it did.


Then there is Judas. Judas knew exactly what to do. He followed the rules. He fit right in. In fact, none of the disciples guessed Judas when they questioned Jesus about his betrayer.

 Judas.

I thought yesterday about the option to invest in someone who has the potential to betray. The potential to cause an immense amount of heartache is real. And my first reaction and response was that it was not worth the risk. My heart is tired. I don't feel up for betrayal these days, if ever. Then I remembered this weekends teaching. Jesus invested in Judas. He was not held at arms length. Jesus knew. And yet He loved. He loved in such a way that those closest to him had no inkling, no question of Jesus love for Judas. Not to mention Peter, when He did betray, after Jesus told him he would, was welcomed back with open arms. Forgiven. Loved.


Lord Jesus, what yeast are we meticulously eliminating from our lives, all the while missing the greater picture, the greater offense. You see I have these moments in worship, or prayer, or Bible study where everything seems so clear. The choice to love seems obvious. The option to overcome is eminent. But only moments after that revelation, seconds after that clear call I hear that all too familiar whispering....did God really say?

And it is that moment where we can get stuck in the middle. It is that moment that we need the power of the Holy Spirit. Call out to Him. Out loud. Father. I believe, help my unbelief. Not my will but Yours. Not by might, nor by power, but by Your Spirit.   I pray that the words we hear on Sunday, the scripture that is presented, would bring lasting change and continuous comfort throughout the week.
Amen.

Watch the sermon here.

What did you learn this weekend that is drawing your closer to Christ this week?
 


1 comment:

  1. Yeast is the driving force behind fermentation, the magical process that allows a dense mass of dough to become a well-risen loaf of bread. And yet yeast is nothing more than a single-celled fungus.

    Kinda like Sin. Or Mushrooms. 'Cept different.

    Right now I'm steaming mad at someone for massive disrespect, but I'm realizing I allowed that disrespect into that relationship by not requiring more respect of myself--for myself.

    My need right now is not to steep in anger like a slowly baked brulee, but to require more respectful behavior of myself for my own sake, like a proudly standing soufle, free of drama and yeast.

    And not because I want anyone else's respect or approval. Or Mushrooms for that matter.

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete