Saturday, November 30, 2013

Samuel 1




Read -Samuel 1
And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed to the Lord and wept in anguish. Then she made a vow and said, “O Lord of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your maidservant and remember me, and not forget Your maidservant, but will give Your maidservant a male child, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life, and no razor shall come upon his head.” (I Samuel 1:10, 11 NKJV)

Hannah, how did you do it?  She was desperate. And she made a promise. A promise to God. She feared God and knew a promise made to Him was not to be taken lightly. Please, she begged. You can have him right back, but let me carry him for 9 months, let me feel his smooth, warm skin on my face when he is born. I will nurse him, rock him, hold his hand. Teach him to know your voice, and then, then, when he is ready to hear you on his own, I will give him back. 

God, help me. Help me with these children. Help me truly trust You with their lives. In the day to day. In the moment to moment. With discipline, with school work, with chores, and dance, and love. I need them to know your voice. Help me release them to you now, trust You with them now,

God is trustworthy. And He can do more with their hearts and lives than I can imagine. 

Losing my temper, yelling, and shaming the children means I have stopped trusting in Gods faithfulness, and His sovereignty. I have elevated myself to the omnipotent one. *I * have to make these children behave. * I * have to make them smart enough.  No. He is enough. And in Him, I am enough.  Not because of my family, not because of my accomplishments, not because of anything I do or say. If  I truly believe that, the stress is alleviated. Once pride is acknowledged and cast down, there remains only Christ, and His righteousness and that is more than enough for me. 

What part of God's character and man's responsibility stands out to you in this chapter?

No comments:

Post a Comment