Sunday, December 22, 2013

I Samuel 17- The Standoff

 
Read I Samuel 17
The word of God is amazing because it is true, because it has been proven, a hundred times, in a hundred ways. And one of those ways it proves itself is this: You can read your Bible, from cover to cover, every year, and STILL learn new things, be inspired in new ways, and even surprised. I feel that way today. I can't think of a more familiar story than David and Goliath. Yet I was truly surprised by the effect it had on my spirit. Maybe it's because our lives are always changing, and we can relate with different characters in these accounts of history.

Today, I relate somewhat with David's brothers, although I wish it were different. I wish that I could say with 100% confidence that I related with David, but the thing with giants is, they are so big! And logic dictates that they will not be going down anytime soon because of me. But thankfully this chapter doesn't end there.

Then here comes David. He is bringing lunch to his brothers much like Saul was chasing donkeys. Just another ordinary task turned monumental. Man, that'll preach to a mom's heart. There is nothing more ordinary than the jobs that consume so much of my hours. But what if we looked at the mundane as a portal to the miraculous?! Because you really just never know, do you? This is the second example, at least, where a chore, a duty became someone's destiny.

26 Then David spoke to the men who stood by him, saying, “What shall be done for the man who kills this Philistine and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?”
27 And the people answered him in this manner, saying, “So shall it be done for the man who kills him.”
28 Now Eliab his oldest brother heard when he spoke to the men; and Eliab’s anger was aroused against David, and he said, “Why did you come down here? And with whom have you left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know your pride and the insolence of your heart, for you have come down to see the battle.”

How often does this scene play out in our world? There are so many giants out there. And you might have a massive amount of people just sitting there stuck, paralyzed, seeing no way to win. No way out. Then you have a visionary come along, fresh eyes, wondering, "Um, hey, aren't we going to do something?" And immediately everyone takes it personally. "Oh, you, with your few sheep, you think you can solve this? What makes you so special?" But what if, instead of getting defensive we got honest? This is how it plays out in my world. I may have an area of homeschooling, child rearing, or house cleaning that has hit a road block, dead end. I brainstorm, I try new things, I give up. Then my unsuspecting husband might come along and suggest something and immediately my defenses go up. "You don't understand" or "You try and do what I do, and see how well it goes." Even though moments earlier I knew in my own heart, something had to change, now that he is suggesting it, well, it hurts.  This same defensive reaction happens everywhere. Whether you are a mechanic, teacher, office worker, computer programmer, someone might come in and suggest another solution, another way, maybe even a way that seems impossible. How will you respond? 

34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant used to keep his father’s sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock, 35 I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it. 36 Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God.” 37 Moreover David said, “The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.”

This. This is going to be the verse that I meditate on today. This I love. Because I have seen God deliver me too! I am *not* the same woman I was a year ago, two years ago, 9, 15, I have seen victory. I have stories. There were ugly bears, and He delivered them into my hand. He did. Not me. I need this verse on a pillow. Or on my wall. Those cute vinyl wall sticky things. Because I am so forgettful!! And I don't want to be. I don't want to be David's brothers, I want to be David. I want to remember that the God I serve can do anything. And that He uses people just as flawed and scared as me! I might make my own reminder. What enemies has the Lord defeated, what battles have you won, that remind you of the power and faithfulness of God? Here's one for me:

 "The Lord, who strengthened my mind to bring  me through a math major with Abstract Algebra and Complex Variables, He will  strengthen my mind to stay focused on my daily tasks with Abstract children and complex laundry!!" 

"The Lord who provided for us to grow our family from 2 to 5 will provide now for us to care for a child in need!"

 This is fun! Chime in! Let me here your battle cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment