Monday, December 2, 2013

I Samuel 2b- Sowing and Reaping



Now the sons of Eli were corrupt; they did not know the Lord. Now Eli was very old; and he heard everything his sons did to all Israel, and how they lay with the women who assembled at the door of the tabernacle of meeting. So he said to them, “Why do you do such things? For I hear of your evil dealings from all the people. No, my sons! For it is not a good report that I hear. You make the Lord ’s people transgress. (I Samuel 2:12, 22-24 NKJV)


But Samuel ministered before the Lord, even as a child, wearing a linen ephod. And the child Samuel grew in stature, and in favor both with the Lord and men. (I Samuel 2:18, 26 NKJV)

Eli's sons were committing such evil acts. Surely Samuel knew. Surely it grieved his heart. Surely he wondered when, when God would act and put a stop to it. 

I feel this way so often. We are a country,  that destroys our most vulnerable, the least of these, in a unbearable and horribly barbaric fashion. But it doesn't end there. The crimes committed that our police officers have to witness, and process, crimes against children. They are all too common. Every 10 seconds a there is a report of child abuse. I read that. Today. And honestly, we don't even know the half of it.  It's times like these that I wonder how people can  say things like "we are all good on the inside." You have heard these statements. Maybe you have even said them. But the Bible vehemently disagrees. The Bible says, there is none righteous, no not one. And also that the heart is wicked and deceitful, who can know it? These truths are easy for me to believe, because I have experienced my own wicked heart in action.   How long? We question, How long will The Lord let evil continue? Little Samuel didn't know how long. He didn't know that judgement was coming, and it would be swift and right and perfect. 

Therefore the Lord God of Israel says ( to Eli ) : ‘I said indeed that your house and the house of your father would walk before Me forever.’ But now the Lord says: ‘Far be it from Me; for those who honor Me I will honor, and those who despise Me shall be lightly esteemed. Now this shall be a sign to you that will come upon your two sons, on Hophni and Phinehas: in one day they shall die, both of them. Then I will raise up for Myself a faithful priest who shall do according to what is in My heart and in My mind. I will build him a sure house, and he shall walk before My anointed forever. (I Samuel 2:30, 34, 35 NKJV)


We know......we ,who read and believe scripture, know...that judgment is coming. And we have specific directions while we wait. We are to humble ourselves in the sight of The Lord. We are to seek His face. And Stand firm. Putting on the whole armor of God. We are to go and make disciples. And in the midst of it all we are to be still. And know, that He is God. And His ways are perfect. Breathe in that truth. And rest in it, while we walk in obedience, following the call that He has placed on our lives, just as Samuel did. 

For extra reading and empowerment.....check out 2 Peter 3 where Peter reminds us that the Lord is not slow! And He will return as a theif in the night. Our job is to stand steadfastly in the Word, not being swayed by every wind of doctrine! Can I get an AMEN???  :)

This chapter was so full! What else did you see of God's character? His abundant grace poured out on Hannah?

No comments:

Post a Comment