Sunday, December 22, 2013

Week In Review: I Samuel 14-16

 This week was filled with familiar stories and passages, yet they never cease to produce life and change. I was so blessed with how specifically each lesson fit my life and struggles this week. With these verses swirling around in my head, I was able to navigate through the typical ups and downs of a day with more direction and confidence in the power of His loving direction, but was also reminded of His judgement. He is not one without the other. And these verses not only applied to the struggles in my own life but also in the lives of my children. Having these verses on the tip of my tongue gave me the words to say to them, guiding them in the way of Truth!
Thank you again for studying this with me, and for your patience with me. I am not a professional. I am just a mostly sleep deprived wife, mom, sister, daughter and friend that loves watching God's Word come alive. Sorry about any errors, typos, grammar fails, or confusing layouts. I welcome suggestions or corrections and more importantly input about the chapter. I have learned so much about God through so many of you! So I know you have something to say! Don't be shy :)


Then Jonathan said to the young man who bore his armor, “Come, let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised; it may be that the Lord will work for us. For nothing restrains the Lord from saving by many or by few."


So his armorbearer said to him, “Do all that is in your heart. Go then; here I am with you, according to your heart.”     


Let us strive to be armor bearers to our brothers and sisters in the faith, as they follow the path that God has laid out for them.


I Samuel 14b- Put a lid on it! 

 24 And the men  of Israel were distressed that day, for Saul had placed the people under oath, saying, “Cursed is the man who eats any food until evening, before I have taken vengeance on my enemies.” So none of the people tasted food. 

This passage reminds us that we need to be most careful with our tongue. Saul made a hasty declaration that ended up destroying his credibility, reputation, and almost his son! Here are some verses to hang up on the wall that remind us that power and potential of the tongue: 

Proverbs 12:18 
There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

James 1:26 ESV
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Proverbs 15:4 ESV 
A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.

James 1:19-20 ESV 
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

 

I Samuel 15:1-9: When in doubt, throw it out!

 Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, how he ambushed him on the way when he came up from Egypt. Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them.

  The Amalekites in the Bible are a type of the flesh.  And just like Saul was to utterly destroy them and their livestock. Everything. We are to utterly destroy our flesh. Even the bits we find entertaining. Even the parts we justify as not that bad. Because God knows that its those parts of our flesh that we let hang around, its those that will destroy us.



I Samuel 15:10-34- Obedience is better than Sacrifice.


 Obedience is better than sacrifice. 

 Regardless of whether we agree or understand, we know that we need to obey. Saul didn't. And the result was the end of his reign.
Obedience is better than sacrifice. And I pray that our eyes would be opened, that our perspective would be clear, and we would walk in obedience in big and in small as we trust His hand and His heart.

I Samuel 16:13 It's not about you.



 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees;[a] for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

God's word reminds us that it is not about us! It was never about us and what we have to offer Him. He will use us because of our weaknesses, not despite them. We trust in Him and boast in Him, and know that no matter how inadequate we feel, He is enough! Amen!!


I Samuel 16: 14-24: Lean on me...



......And so it was, whenever the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David would take a harp and play it with his hand. Then Saul would become refreshed and well, and the distressing spirit would depart from him.

 We live in a world where so many people around us are tormented by distressing spirits. And while we may not have a harp in our back pack, we have more than that. We have knowledge of and access to the Peace Giver.

Let's purpose to be bold and share the love of Christ in word and in deed, taking our eyes off of ourselves, and looking through our Father's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment