Thursday, January 9, 2014

Weeks in Review I Samuel 17-20 and some Psalms.

 Normally this post would be titled "Week in Review" but the holidays have me all discombobulated! Wow, I can't believe I spelled that right the first time! Anyhoo, it felt like a review was overdue. So this is for you. (no more rhymes, I mean it.......) :)

I Samuel 17- The Standoff

In chapter 17 we are reminded of the strength it took David to stand up to that Goliath, not to mention how much easier it is to identify with his brothers, the ones cowering in the corner. However, something else has struck me since reading this. And that is how clear it was to David, that there was no way he was going to let someone defile the name of His God. And where did that strength come from? He recalled how God had delivered him time and again. It was his battle cry. 

“The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.”

 Here's mine!

 "The Lord, who strengthened my mind to bring  me through a math major with Abstract Algebra and Complex Variables, He will  strengthen my mind to stay focused on my daily tasks with Abstract children and complex laundry!!"  

What's yours? Click on the link and tell us in the comments section!! 


I Samuel 18- I'll be there for you!

  Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.

 In Chapter 18 David and Jonathan's friendship is displayed. I have been blessed with many Jonathans who have helped me in the battle of life. Although sometimes it didn't feel like help!

 Proverbs 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend,
                       But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy.

The lessons that I learned from these ladies were sent to me straight from God. But, to be honest, sometimes I shot the messenger. With women, we all know, this is more common than not. I severed ties, gossiped, nursed wounds, and acted regrettably.  Yet over time, through the grace of God, this is not still the case.  I have grown to appreciate our differences instead of complaining about them. I have chosen to focus on my part of any relationship difficulty instead of playing the victim. And I have learned to see the beauty of God's character, woven in the world around me, through the women He has placed in my life.   

Click the link for some tips on how to find those forever friends! I edited it to add one more!

I Samuel 19- I don't feel like it. 

 Here we see the contrast of acting on faith verses feelings. David acts on faith. He is feeling threatened at his place of work, the castle. And rightly so. But he kept going after seeking counsel from his friend. And through his faith God kept him safe despite the dangerous situation. 
Then Saul. He was feeling jealousy. And he acted on it....with no reservation.


So Saul heeded the voice of Jonathan, and Saul swore, “As the Lord lives, he shall not be killed.” Then Jonathan called David, and Jonathan told him all these things. So Jonathan brought David to Saul, and he was in his presence as in times past.
And there was war again; and David went out and fought with the Philistines, and struck them with a mighty blow, and they fled from him.
Now the distressing spirit from the Lord came upon Saul as he sat in his house with his spear in his hand. And David was playing music with his hand. 10 Then Saul sought to pin David to the wall with the spear, but he slipped away from Saul’s presence; and he drove the spear into the wall. So David fled and escaped that night.

Saul choose jealousy over joy, but David chose faith over feelings, and we have that same choice daily!

I Samuel 20- The Waiting Game

32 And Jonathan answered Saul his father, and said to him, “Why should he be killed? What has he done?” 33 Then Saul cast a spear at him to kill him, by which Jonathan knew that it was determined by his father to kill David.
34 So Jonathan arose from the table in fierce anger, and ate no food the second day of the month, for he was grieved for David, because his father had treated him shamefully.

David believes that it is no longer safe for him to go to Saul, and devises a plan with Jonathan to discover the truth. The answer sends David on the run to continue his wait for the crown in a terrifying way. This chapter reminds us all the wait can be long, and it can be scary. Here in God's word is where we find the strength to continue waiting for the things that He has promised us.

Psalms 11- This is a test.

  The Lord tests the righteous,

In the middle of running for his life, he is able to pen these Psalms that minister to us today.
We are tested. It is well known, but why? One reason is that without being pressed, we tend to be completely unaware of the garbage that needs to be cleaned out on the inside.

 
When we are going through a test, or have gone through one, and feel like we  have bombed it, we have that same choice to make. Are we going to play the blame game thinking about who we can blame for our reaction? Or instead, will we draw close to the One who has all the answers, and allow Him to walk us through, as He gently corrects us because He loves us.

I pray that as we start this new year, instead of crumbling up 2013 and tossing it in the trash, we would instead take it to Jesus, and spend time with Him, letting him change our hearts and teach us His ways, which are higher than our ways, as He molds us into who He has planned for us to be in 2014! Amen!

Psalms 59- Just.For.Me.

 16But I will sing of Your power;
Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning;
For You have been my defense
And refuge in the day of my trouble.
17To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises;
For God is my defense,
My God of mercy.

This was my favorite. I was so moved by the way God's living word recounted my morning, and the power of His words to soothe the soul. He is so good. So. So. Good.

Ok, now you are all caught up! See you for I Samuel 21!

No comments:

Post a Comment